What Can You Do to Stop Wasting Time and Stay Focused?
about 2 days ago.
Updated about 1 month ago.
Today we are talking about 6 Ideas for Creating New Opportunities by Getting Rid of Limiting Beliefs.
According to the laws of physics and aerodynamics, a bumble bee can’t fly. So…try telling a bumble bee that!
Isn’t it wonderful that bumble bees don’t possess human traits? Because if they did, in all likelihood, we would live in a world devoid of flowers and honeycomb and the simple delights of bumble bees productively going about their business in our garden.
Why? Because we human beings have a knack for getting caught up in limiting self beliefs, so it follows that the bulk of us would simply accept the word of the scientific community and not fly because we’ve been told we can’t!
And like the imaginary void that would be created without the ingenuity of bumble bees, we create huge voids in our life by accepting self-limiting beliefs.
Our beliefs about ourselves, those around us and the world at large affect who we are and how we behave. Beliefs are merely thoughts, that with a little encouragement and repetition from our over-active minds, transform into facts. Or so we are led to believe.
Once we have formed a self-limiting belief, we continue to pursue evidence to prove that our belief is real. These beliefs are backed up by our self-talk, providing further evidence to back up our negative thoughts.
How many times have you caught yourself saying:
• I knew I’d be no good at this.
• This always happens to me – I’m hopeless.
• I’m always the unlucky one.
• I’ll never be any good at anything.
• I can’t ask for referrals.
• I’m not built for following a calendar.
• I can’t seem to stop letting things distract me.
• I have to spend too much time on lower priorities because they need to get done.
Limiting beliefs are self-perpetuating; the more we believe something to be so, the more our actions reflect that belief, and the more the resultant failure to achieve what we originally set out to do reinforces the initial limiting belief.
So, how do we break the vicious cycle of self-limiting beliefs and create more positive outcomes?
6 Step Plan to Break the Cycle of Limiting Beliefs
The first step in breaking the cycle of self-limiting beliefs is recognizing that the belief exists.
This can often be difficult because many of our limiting beliefs stem from early childhood experiences, or are so deeply ingrained into our psyche that we aren’t consciously aware of them.
For example, you may have been told over and over as a child that you’d “never amount to anything” because you didn’t get your homework in on time.
Over the ensuing years, you’ve lived a mediocre life, settling for whatever life has thrown at you because you don’t believe you are capable of anything better.
So, let’s look at a series of exercises that will disprove your long-held belief and create a whole new world of opportunities.
1. Write down your self-limiting belief. Writing is an integral part of the process because it shifts your focus from the maze of random thoughts associated with the right side of the brain to the more analytical, logical left hemisphere.
2. Using the above example, the self-limiting belief might be: “I will never amount to anything.”
3. Describe the self-talk that is associated with the belief: “I am useless.” “I am a waste of space.” “I don’t deserve to be successful.”
4. Record all the limitations your belief creates: “I am unfulfilled.” “I get no enjoyment from life.” “I am frustrated by my inability to get ahead.”
5. Write down the new positive self-talk that opposes the self-limiting belief: “I am capable of great things.” “I can be successful.” “I am a good person.”
6. Imagine yourself with the new positive belief and describe your feelings when you think about it: “I feel happy and content with my life.” “I feel positive and invigorated.” “I know I’m capable of achieving success.”
This exercise is designed to give you a new-found sense of excitement about the unlimited possibilities you can create. If you want to take this exercise one step further, describe the feelings of elation and freedom your new belief gives you.
Most importantly, you need to visualize yourself without the self-limiting belief that has held you back in the “no-fly zone” for most of your life.
You would be deceiving yourself if you believe that you only need to practice this exercise once. In most cases, your self-limiting beliefs have dictated who you are and how you see the world for a very long time, so you need to repeat the exercise until the revised belief becomes a part of you.
Daily affirmations will help hasten the process. Write down on a piece of paper an affirmation that describes the new belief you are focused on, and pin it up someplace where you’ll see it every morning. The mirror where you dress each day is perfect.
Then, each morning, say out loud your affirmation. And say it like you mean it!
It also helps to repeat your affirmation to a loved one, say, your spouse or family. If you don’t have a loved one to acknowledge your affirmation, shout it out loud to the cat or even your next-door neighbors! (They’ll probably try to have you committed, but who cares? You’re a human being reborn!)
Breaking a self-limiting belief is like seeing the world for the first time without the lens cap on. A brave new world of opportunity that you never knew existed is out there, waiting just for you.
If you are getting value from any of Podcasts, please take a minute to leave me a short rating and review. I would really appreciate it, and love to hear from you.
Aim for what you want each and every day!
The Accountability Coach™
The Results Accelerator™
To help you stay focused and on track to achieving your goals, check out these other high-value resources.
- Subscribe to my high-value business success tips and resources Blog https://www.accountabilitycoach.com/blog/)
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel with business success principles (https://www.youtube.com/annebachrach)
- Connect with me on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/TheAccountabilityCoach)
- Connect with me on Linked-in (https://www.linkedin.com/in/annebachrach)
- Connect with me on Pinterest (https://pinterest.com/resultsrule/)
- Connect with me on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/annebachrach/)
Take advantage of all the complimentary business tips and tools by joining the Free Silver Membership on https://www.accountabilitycoach.com/coaching-store/inner-circle-store/.
Go to https://www.accountabilitycoach.com to check out for yourself how I, as your Accountability Coach™, can help you get and stay focused on you highest payoff activities that put you in the highest probability position to achieve your professional and personal goals, so you can enjoy the kind of business and life you truly want and deserve.
As an experienced accountability coach and author of 5 books, I help business professionals make more money, work less, and enjoy even better work life balance.
Check out my proven business accelerator resources by going to https://www.accountabilitycoach.com/coaching-store/.
Get your daily Accountability Minute shot of a single, simple, doable idea, so you can start your day off on the "right foot". You can find The Accountability Minute on https://www.accountabilitycoach.com/my-podcast/ as well as on most podcast platforms and in most English-speaking countries.
Author of Excuses Don’t Count; Results Rule, Live Life with No Regrets, No Excuses, and the Work Life Balance Emergency Kit, The Roadmap To Success with Stephen Covey and Ken Blanchard, and more.